What is the Mission?
The mission of the Association for the Study of Esotericism is to promote excellence in scholarship and teaching in the study of esotericism and mysticism. This is to be accomplished through conferences and meetings, publications, programs, and membership services.
Within a context of free inquiry and critical examination, the Association welcomes all disciplined reflection on esotericism in its various manifestations from antiquity to the present–including perspectives ranging from historiographic to phenomenological–and seeks to enhance the broad public understanding of this emerging field.
To accomplish its mission the Association for the Study of Esotericism has identified the following goals:
1. To help to advance and secure the future of the academic study of esotericism.
2. To promote research and scholarship in the study of esotericism.
3. To foster excellence in teaching in the field of esotericism.
4. To support and encourage members’ professional development.
5. To advance publication and scholarly communication in the study of esotericism and mysticism.
6. To contribute to the public understanding of esoteric movements, groups, individuals, and the historical currents that they represent.